Simple Prawn Curry
- Prawns - 500 gms, cleaned, deveined
- Onions - 3 medium sized, grated
- Tomatoes - 1 large, chopped
- Potatoes - 2 large, cubed
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli - 2 large
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Whole - Bay Leaf (2), Cinnamon (1 inch stick), Cardamom (3), Clove (3), Pepper (3-4) - All pounded a little in pestle
- Garam Masala Powder
- Rub the prawns with salt and turmeric. Heat oil in a pan and sautee it lightly. Keep aside.
Take the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and add water and salt. Run the micro under high power for 3 minutes. After about 2-3 minutes, drain the water and wash it with cold water (This is to drain the starch from the potatoes as well as ensure that it absorbes less oil while frying)
- Heat oil in the pan, add the whole spices and allow to fry for about 15 secs and add the onion paste.
- Fry the onion paste for about a minute and add the ginger garlic paste.
- After about 5 mins of frying, add the tomatoes & green chilly with a small slit. Fry till about 80% done.
- Add the powdered spices (Turmeric, chilli powder, sugar, salt) (I take the spices in a bowl, add a little water and whip it into a nice thick paste before I start the cooking).
- After about 3-4 mins, add the potatoes and keep frying.
- When the entire mix is drying and starts sticking to the pan, add a little water (just the amount to loosen the sticking) and allow it to fry for some more time.
- Add about 2-3 cups of water.
- Just before the water comes to boil, add the prawns and keep boiling till you get the thickened gravy as required.
- Add the Garam Masala powder and chopped corriander and serve.