Rawa idlis with coupled with my red chutney or Podi is one of the favourite items on the breakfast at home. The recipes goes thus....
Ingredients for about 20 idlis:
- rawa / sooji - 2 cups
- sour curd - 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons each of mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal
- half a teaspoon of asafoetida (hing)
- few curry leaves (4-5) broken into half
- a tbsp of chopped cashew (optional)
- one inch ginger grated
- a carrot about 6 inches, grated (optional)
- fresh sprig of coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- fruit salt - 2 teaspoons (eno / Alka seltzer or the like)
Dry roast the rawa and take it out and let it cool
Take about 2 tbsp of white oil and once hot, add the mustard seeds and dal
Once the mustard seeds starts crackling, lower the flame and add the curry leaves and cashew. Turn off the flame after 30 secs. Add to the roasted rawa.
Add the curd, other ingredients and salt and mix the entire mix well.
Now add water little at a time and keep mixing till you get the right consistency as in idli batter.
Leave the mixture to rest for about 10 mins.
Grease the idli moulds and boil water for the idli stand in the meanwhile.
After 10 mins, add the fruit salt to the mix and mix well. Put it in the mould and make idlis.
Serve them hot and fluffy with chutney of your choice. I prefer having it with red chutney since I am not much fond of coconut chutney.