My Annual Baking Fare: Christmas Cake
For the past few years, baking a Christmas cake has been a regular affair at home. And since this has only been the last 5-6 years, I am always on the lookout for healthier recipes year on year, but unfortunately using it all the regal ingredients. This time I discovered a new recipe and added some twist to make a it a tad bit healthier. And this is how it turned out ..
The recipe is here for reference:
· Melted butter, to grease the pan
· Mixed dry fruits (chopped) soaked in rum for atleast 10 days. It can be kept soaked for 2-3 months as well. Keep replenishing the rum as the fruits gets exposed. you can also add tutty fruity though I did not use that this year. This year I used
o Black Currant
o Dried figs
· 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
· 1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
· 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
· 250g Unsalted Butter, melted, cooled. You can use Nutralite or similar table margarine
· 1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
· 2 cups (300g) plain flour
· 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
· 2 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
· 4 eggs, lightly whisked
1. Grease a deep 22 cm round cake pan with melted butter. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper, extending 5cm above edge.
2. Sieve the mixed spice and flours together and keep it aside
3. Add butter and sugar and whisk till you get a nice mix. Add the eggs one by one and keep mixing till you get a nice buttery mix.
4. Once you have a nice texture of the mix, fold in the combined flours mix gradually and stir to combine.
5. Add the dry fruit and orange zest to the above mix. Gradually add the orange juice and keep mixing. Add the brandy towards the end and stir to combine.
7. Preheat oven to 220°C. I used the convection microwave and this temperature works for me.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 – 45 mins and until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cover the cake loosely with foil if over browning.
9. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool completely.10. For the adventurous readers of this blog, you can add a 60 ml shot of brandy on the top and allow it to soak it in. in case you make this cake before Christmas, you can follow this step